Monday, August 11, 2008

the man who couldn't sleep

Christian Bale is much more than Batman. Some of you will remember Bale as Patrick Bateman, the main character of American Psycho. Thanks to the Gotham City's hero, Christian Bale gained more fame and now is one of the most appreciated Hollywood actors.

I would like to post one of his movies, which I considered a cult and that i really liked. I am talking about The machinist (2004, il titolo italiano e' L'uomo senza sonno).

It's a dark movie, a sort of psychological thriller which plays on the border between surreal and real. Christian Bale is Trevor Reznik, a clear reference to Trent Reznor, leader of the cult rock band Nine Inch Nails. The screenplayer, Scott Kosar, and Brad Anderson, the director, have been clearly influenced by Dostoevsky (and Trevor is shown while is reading The idiot).

A demanding role for Christian Bale, who had to lose 30 kilos in order to play Trevor Reznik, a man that is keeping such an horrible secret in his unconscious that has not been able to sleep for over one year.


2 comments:

imopen said...

I could play the part of "the man who couldn't not to sleep", but I wonder if it would arouse the same feeling. :)

I haven't seen it yet, I mark it, Ale.

Anonymous said...

Good tip, I saw it... Impressed, very good movie!